Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Early Christmas gifts

I received 2 early Christmas gifts today. The first came as I was exiting the lane to go to the PO. A beautiful Bald Eagle was soaring not too high over the woods in back of our neighbors' houses.

The second I owe to my young neighbor, Tim, who appeared at my door to tell of an owl that he had just seen. I zipped down the lane and ran across the field with him and, after a minute of scanning the tree line, spotted a Great Horned just as it flew down from its roost across the hedge row. Unfortunately I lost it due to the almost dark conditions.

However, a short time later, I spotted the same (or another) Great Horned Owl overlooking Ted and Tim's goose blind. Quite a sight, as the full moon was rising.

It's been many years since I saw a Bald Eagle and a Great Horned Owl the same day. (That would have been a World Series of Birding day). In addition, one black vulture sailed over the house and I spotted two more as I was driving today.

Psyched for a New Year's Day count in the not so distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment