Saturday, April 30, 2011

VA Appalachian Trail Birding

Today I joined the Northern Virginia Bird Club for a morning walk to Thompson WMA and the adjacent Sky Meadows SP. I knew that this area was good for some breeding warblers, and I had never been out there before. It turned out to be a great walk. Here are some of the highlights:

10+ Cerulean Warblers (including views of at least 5)
3 Hooded Warblers (great views)
Yellow-Throated Vireos, Worm-Eating and Kentucky Warblers (heard only)
Bobolink
10+ gorgeous Red-Headed Woodpeckers at close range, and even on open fenceposts!
1 Blackburnian Warbler
1 Nashville Warbler

If you're in this area this summer, most of those birds are breeding birds, and you'd have a good shot at them in the right location.

P.s. If I had kids, I would totally subscribe to this magazine: Nature Friend Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment