Thursday, November 29, 2012

Barnacle Goose in the Bronx

Today I chased down a report of a life bird for me--Barnacle Goose. More and more often these Geese seem to be wandering over to the east coast, though they typically inhabit Greenland and parts of Europe I believe. Some seem to be escapes, but the increasing number definitely means that wild ones are here.

After taking the NYC subway for about 45 minutes or so, I arrived in the Bronx and a big park area call Van Cortlandt Park. The Barnacle Goose had been reported in a large flock of Canada Geese. It wasn't too hard to find the big flock of geese, but after several scans, I was getting worried that the Barnacle Goose had departed.

Finally, I found it out in the middle of the geese! Here are some (not too great) photos:



As you can see, the Barnacle is a pretty distinct bird. Still, finding any goose in the midst of hundreds of others can take time, since it may have its head down, be behind another goose, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment