Sunday, January 23, 2011

Florida Life Bird #1

While driving south from Orlando to Ft. Myers through the heart of Florida on Route 17, I really had one bird species in mind. I knew that it was my best shot at seeing it on our entire trip, as they are not typically found in South Florida. The bird I was after? Crested Caracara

Lisa and I drove through lots of upland grassy areas where cattle were grazing and every vulture anywhere in sight I was double checking. Finally we were getting closer and closer to Ft. Myers, and I thought our chances were getting slim, when while cruising along we approached three birds on the road side. I saw white on the neck and knew we had found them!

I pulled off to the side of the road probably 50 yards past the birds, and was able to get a decent look at one adult and one immature Caracara feeding with a Black Vulture.

1 comment: