Saturday, October 22, 2011

My New Favorite Spot

After a cold, calm night, I discovered a number of late fall migrants had arrived in South Carolina. I was happy to find 44 species of birds in my local patch, including the first fall Juncos, White-Throated Sparrows, and Winter Wrens.

I recently discovered one little spot that is fast becoming one of my favorite places in the world! Down by a fairly broad river, there is a solitary picnic table that sits at the end of an overgrown trail. It overlooks a tiny weedy field and is bordered by woods. On the far side of the river, past a number of tall dead trees and agricultural fields you can see for miles (?) to the horizon.

This combination makes for some wonderful birding just by staying in one spot. This morning I was delighted by Pied-Billed Grebes floating by on the river, Wood Ducks flying over the water, a perched Red-tailed Hawk, and a group of jays pestering a very energetic Sharp-Shinned Hawk. Birds were constantly emerging from the tiny weedy patch: Swamp, Song, Field,  and White-Throated Sparrows, Indigo Bunting, Goldfinches, Common Yellowthroats, House and Carolina Wrens. Finally, on the wood edge were a White-Eyed Vireo, and Brown Thrasher.

The thing to learn from this I think is that often times local spots in the areas around where we live that aren't famous or heavily birded can be great spots for birds. I think combinations of habitats such as this little area are what to look for. 

View of the River from the Picnic Table

Weedy patch on the left, bordered by woodlands

No comments:

Post a Comment