Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Warbler Woods

My new (mobile) home is located in an oak-hickory forest. Within a 1/2 mile there is a small lake and a decent sized river. I have been amazed at the number and diversity of warblers that I have seen from my office window, and within the woods and habitats nearby.

In about 2 months of birding, I've seen 70 species of birds, including 15! species of warblers, which include about 10 seen just from my office window. By far the highlight has been not one, but two male Golden-Winged Warblers. One was in the trees above my house in late September, and the other I saw last week in a small weedy area. Other birders have assured me that Golden-Winged is not a common bird here in South Carolina (I thought it might be more common here than in NJ or VA).

Other warbler highlights have been Blackburnian, Hooded, and Worm-Eating, as well as a number of Tennessee Warblers.

I was also surprised how common Summer Tanagers are here. I think they are mostly gone now, but in August and September it was unusual if I didn't see or hear one on a walk. Brown-headed Nuthatches squeak high up in the pine trees, and Yellow-throated Vireos hide way up in the deciduous trees.

All that to say, I'm thankful God brought me to a place where trails and good habitats are right outside my door!

No comments:

Post a Comment