Friday, November 5, 2010

More finches....

I will be posting shortly about my trip to Cape May last Monday which was excellent! But in the meantime, I have had some nice feeder regulars lately. 1-3 Pine Siskins have been consistent all week, a male Purple Finch a few days (though they seem to be slowing down) and a very regular female Red Breasted Nuthatch has been visiting the feeders. As many as 28 American Goldfinches have been present. I keep adding more thistle sacks!

Also, it is interesting to see the chain of command amongst the finches. Here's what I've observed:

House Finch>Purple Finch>Pine Siskin>American Goldfinch

House Finches particularly do not care to feed next to Purple Finches. Interesting!

Now, the next bird to visit the feeders? Common Redpoll? One can only hope...

1 comment: