Friday, November 19, 2010

Snake-ing in November

Deb and I went to Palmyra Cove this past Sunday in search of sparrows and whatever else might come our way. It being about 60 degrees and sunny, I had in the back of my mind the possibility of a snake being found, though I considered my options for species to be limited to the Garter Snake and Brown Snake, both being very good at weathering cooler weather.

We didn't find much in the way of birds. 2 migrating Bald Eagles, a few Field Sparrows, about 10 Golden Crowned Kinglets and a Hairy Woodpecker. That was about it besides the normals.
But on our way back to the parking lot. I heard those magical words..."uhhhh Matt!!!" as Deb suddenly stopped in the path. The last time one of us almost stepped on a snake it was me and a Copperhead. This time it was Deb and a very sharp looking juvenile Black Rat Snake (also called Eastern Ratsnake). The first juvenile I have ever seen, in fact.


This little guy was about 16 inches long, a far cry from the 60-90 inch snake he will become. The BR Snake is the largest (in terms of length) snake in NJ. It is in fact one of the three longest snakes in North America, with the record being 101 inches! As you can see the juvenile looks a good bit different from the adults, who are predominantly black on back and sides, and white on the belly.
This specific snake was in fact the best snake I have ever handled, being that it did not bite me, poop on me, or leave that lovely snake defensive musk smell that takes a long time to get off one's hands :)




2 comments:

  1. Is there a snake field guide where you can learn about IDing young snakes, etc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, field guides for reps/amphibs are usually somewhat limited in the amount of pics they have, but there are some good ones. Peterson Field Guide to Reps/Amphibs is a good one. They always have good textual information though. Online resources are very helpful for pictures like PAHERP.com and my forum that I am on (fieldherpforum.com)

    ReplyDelete