Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Local Notes: Blackpolls and an Owl

Last night Lisa and I took a walk through a local nearby park. I had been told that at a place where the trail crosses a road Barred Owls had nested in the past, and so we headed that way to see if we could track one down. Sure enough, when we were getting close to the street, we spooked an owl 30 feet from us. He flew back a ways, but then a band of Blue Jays managed to chase him back our way, where he perched for several minutes!


Then today when I pulled into a parking spot at my doctor's office in Falls Church. In a little 20 ft tree beside my car were two male Blackpoll Warblers with a third singing nearby. Also heard two more in our apartment complex while taking out the trash tonight. It's amazing how much can be seen in the most common of places.

I'm also excited to have a Gray Catbird eating hulled sunflower seeds off my porch, along with the oddball American Robin that has been feasting on the sunflower for over a month (and visited some last year as well).

No comments:

Post a Comment