Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Look what surfed in at Sea Isle!

Dad and I went striper fishing down at Sea Isle today. What a gorgeous day!

Only caught two (non-keeper) stripers and several kingfish.


There were about two hundred shorebirds in assorted flocks at the water's edge, including Sanderlings, a few Least, 2 Ruddy Turnstones, and Semi-Palmated Plovers. Also saw one Osprey and the usual Laughing gulls fighting over the clam shells.


Suddenly, about 150 feet down the beach, about 30 feet out, I saw a large bird floating in the water and coming in through the surf. I grabbed my camera and ran down to see it. Unbelievably, the bird came right in, almost to my feet. It was a juvenile (first year?) Northern Gannet with perhaps a broken right wing.







I was able to get many great pics of it. Eventually two young gals came down and asked what it was and what we should do. They made a phone call and got connected to the Wetlands Institute in Stone Harbor, who said put a wet towel around it and bring it in. Easy to say, when you're not looking at that strong bill. But that's just what they did.


So, Lisa, you can be extremely happy that this bird may not meet the same sad fate as the young Gannet of yesteryear!

Looks like it's smiling . . .

1 comment:

  1. (Lisa tried to post this comment, but the system was being dumb):

    "Oh, good.... I'm not sure I could take more young gannet trauma. ;) Yay for a happy ending!! "

    ReplyDelete