Friday, May 6, 2011

A Real Owl Sighting

This morning I spent an hour trying to track down a Mourning Warbler that had been seen a day before in an area not far from where I work. The disappointment of my search for that bird can be summed up in these words: I might have seen it. I had heard a rustling sound in the leaves beside the path. Thinking that it was awfully close for a bird, and probably one of the many squirrels, I took a step toward it only for it to fly. Clearly warbler sized...thought I picked up yellow, though truthfully it could  have been the Ovenbird that I spotted later. Anyway, it flew in far enough that I couldn't relocate it. Someday I'll find a Mourning Warbler.

On the bright side, a group of 5 or 6 crows alerted me to the presence of a Barred Owl, which they eventually managed to flush. Also saw several warblers, two Scarlet Tanagers and a FOS Swainson's Thrush. Interesting that White-Throated Sparrows are still lingering around.--Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment